Davingy is the art of David McGraw. Influenced by Abstract Expressionist tradition, it has evolved into three-dimensional pieces incorporating metal, wood, fiberglass, and ceramic.
The focus of his art is large-scale, outdoor, site-specific installations.
Sculpture for the Millennium, national juried exhibition, Aquatic Park, San Mateo, CA, 2000
Gallery LaGreca, San Francisco, CA, 1994, 1993, 1992
The Vintage Court, Portland, OR, 1992
Phoenix Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 1989
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Bancroft Annual Sculpture, Walnut Creek, CA, 2009
- Westscott Sculpture Park Annual, San Juan Island, WA, 2009
- Burning Man Arts Festival, Black Rock Desert, NV, 2008
- 70th Annual Statewide Exhibit, Santa Cruz Art League, Santa Cruz, CA, 2000
- Route One Year 2000, Juried Exhibition, Gallery Route One, Faint Reyes Statian, CA, 2000
- 29th Annual 3-D Art Regional Competition, Center for Visual Arts, San Jose, CA, 1999
- All Media, National Juried Exhibition, Chico Art Center, Chico, CA, 1999
- Fantastic Visions: Surrealism and Abstract, Danville Fine Arts Center, Danville, CA, 1999
- Bay Area Art II, Napa Valley Fine Art Gallery, Napa, CA, 1998
- The Sculpture Group Juried Annual, Blackhawk Plaza Gallery, Danville, CA, 1998
- Pacific Rim Sculptors Group 4th Annual, Contract Design Center, San Francisco, CA,1998
- Sculpture 12 x 12, Contract Design Center, San Francisco, CA, 1997
- On the Waterfront: Works from the Hunter's Point Artists Community, Transamerica Pyramid Lobby, San Francisco, CA. 1995
- Poetry and Presence: Three Sculptors, The Richmond Art Center, Berlex Corp, Richmond, CA, 1995
- An Impromptu Exhibition of Outdoor Sculptures, The Oakland Museum, Oakland, CA,1994
- Pacific Rim Sculptors Group, Syntex Gallery, Palo Alto, CA, 1994
- Sculpture at the Olive Group, Auberge du Soleil, Rutherford, CA,1994
- Six in Review, Gallery LaGreca, San Francisco, CA, 1994
- Synopsys Gallery, Mountain View, CA, 1994
- Line-Mass-Process, Pacific Rim Sculpture Group, Contract Design Center, San Francisco, CA, 1993
- Indian Springs Group Show, Indian Springs Resort, Calistoga, CA,1993
- 13th Annual Bay Arts, The Arts Council of San Mateo County, San Mateo, CA, 1992
- Metals Now, Downey Museum of Art, Los Angeles, CA, 1992
- Mountain View Civic Center Sculpture Exhibition, Mountain View, CA, 1992
- Golden State Sculptors Association Annual, Los Angeles, CA, 1991
- LaGreca Arts, San Francisco, CA, 1991
- Three Dimensional Annual, San Jose Art League, San Jose, CA, 1991
- The Cross Show, Brown Bag Farm, Petaluma, CA.1991
- Ceramic Spring Show, San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, CA, 1989
David McGraw was born and raised in Portland, Oregon
and graduated with a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Oregon in 1980. In the summer of 1982 he became extremely stimulated by a visit to the New York Museum of Modern Art and realized he was an artist.
David moved to San Francisco and took various classes at the San Francisco Art Institute over the next several years. He began utilizing mixed media, including found objects, to further his vision of Bauhaus-inspired “total art”. He is now mainly known for large welded abstract figures.
The artist lives and works in San Francisco and Sonoma County.
In 2008, at the Burning Man arts festival in Black Rock City, Nevada: David McGraw, with the help of his friend, Sam Warren, constructed the large scale pyrotechnical installation, called Chimera, above.